Different countries have different rules of behavior at the dining table. In spite of this, there is a universal etiquette, which will help you to be on top at any dinner party.
We decided to share the most basic rules of behavior at the table:
- One of the main rules of table etiquette – cutlery, which is located to the left of the plate, is intended only for the left hand, from the right - to the right hand. Do not use a fork with the right hand or eat from the knife.
- Never transfer cutlery from one place to another before you start the meal.
- A huge number of cutlery often scares people, but it is actually very simple - the cutlery that is furthest away from the plate is intended for cold appetizers. The following - for fish, and those that are closest to the plate - for the main course. Dessert cutlery is located over the plate. There are also general rules - a knife and spoon are held in the right hand and a fork – in the left.
- Do not take a food from sharing plate with your personal cutlery.
- Holding the knife in the right hand, the index finger should be on the handle rather than the back of the blade.
- Do not pre-cut food into portions. It is recommended not to cut off more than two pieces.
- It is not acceptable to fill the soup spoon to the brim and even more so to blow on it.
- Do not bite or but bread, break off small pieces with hands.
- Do not rest your elbows on the table.
- Do not use a toothpick at the table.
- If you have finished the meal, place the knife and fork parallel to each other on the right handle.